TELE-RCCCP is the pioneering and unique in Greece distance support program for children with cerebral palsy. It refers to children who live in remote areas of the country and do not have access to specialized centers. Through this program we provide equal access opportunities and we combat social exclusion. Since 2003 this program has assisted dozens of children and their families in various island and continentals parts of the country.
Through easy to use equipment, a computer, a camera and a microphone, both sides (child-parent on the one hand and therapist on the other) can have two-way audiovisual communication. This is a 45 minutes teleconference session focusing on the child’s therapy or training or on the parents’ counseling support.
With the teleconference:
- We provide Physiotherapy, Occupational therapy, Speech and language therapy, Educational Program material to the child in his/her own familiar environment and according to his/her individual needs on a daily basis.
- Our Center’s Interdisciplinary Team has a complete picture of the child’s living conditions, as well as the opportunity to suggest modifications at once which are going to facilitate the child’s and his/her family’s daily life.
- Child and family are not required to move in order to seek solutions.
- It is easier for parents to combine their professional and extra – due to their child’s disability – family obligations.
- This intervention motivates parents as it creates the conditions for their actual participation in their child’s rehabilitation program.
- Parents watch directly their child’s development and feel secure about their actions given that they are guided by our specialized personnel.
- The time of children who remain at home 24 hours a day is structured and developed.
- Parents and children become familiar with the use of modern technology.
- Parents get emotional and social support while they get information and updates on all issues regarding the rights of their child (benefits, education etc)
- At the same time, other family members get support as well.
- We provide the opportunity to learn and transfer know-how to young professional who have the status of intermediaries in the therapeutic procedure.
Before admitting a child to the program, there is an examination and evaluation phase which requires the physical presence and brief stay of both the child and parent at the Center’s boarding house so as:
- to evaluate the child’s needs,
- to meet and get acquainted with the personnel,
- to establish therapeutic targets and schedule communication,
- to train the parents in using the computer and the teleconference equipment
Admission Criteria and Requirements to the program:
- The child must be up to 11 years old, as the 12th year of age is the limit for all services offered.
- Parents can meet the program’s requirements; that is to say, to accept the role of the “intermediary” in the therapeutic procedure. Otherwise, and if this is possible, a professional can take up this role, depending on the level of intervention.
- The child’s residence area must not have specialized therapeutic centers and services.